Thursday, June 5, 2008

Varmint Cong




"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote."
- Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

I don't know exactly what this is, but I'm leaning towards Vole. We have a lot of them these days. Trudy has rolled in and masticated a few. I have seen their holes in my garden. I am guessing this may be what happened to some of my onions.

Commence warfare.

7 comments:

Aweber9 said...

Funny you should post about this - just came across a great article in the NYT today about exactly this issue. Check out the link and my story at http://aweber9.blogspot.com/2008/06/accounting-for-unwanted-visitors.html

Michael@greenakeys.com said...

"You are a disgrace. You are one of the lowest members of the food chain and you will probably be replaced by the rat."

-Karl Spackler

Michael@greenakeys.com said...

Id have to go with rat on that one.

Unless it could fit in your hand like this:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/O&T/specificplants/note134/vole_l.jpg

Blue Heron Farm said...

Hm--- Christian says rat, too. I don't think the tail is long enough.

I'll check out your story, AW.

Katherine Seger Weber said...

I gotta go with RAT too! Big-ass rat! The large size of the animal plus long naked tail ... Nothing else that big has a tail like that.

Katherine Seger Weber said...

Wait! I change my answer: maybe a nutria?? Google it and see what you think. Basically a large rat-like animal that loves water. Was it near the pond?

Blue Heron Farm said...

Oh -- it's not a nutria. That box is just really small. The little dude fits in my hand.