Monday, March 2, 2009

A couple days later...

With the help of a few of our FOFs (Thanks Brandi and LeeAnne!) we have narrowed down what happened to the deformed fetus and learned a lot about the condition it precipitated in Jakarta.

I took photos, but would never dream of posting them on the blog. They are shocking but in a way that is hard to describe, kind of comforting. Poor Jakarta never had a chance. Knowing that and looking at what was happening inside her makes me see Christian's ability to be brave when it counted and ability to do the right thing, no matter how hard, as nothing short of heroic.

If you are at all curious about the biology, google Hydrops Allantois and Anasarca. None of the articles I found had photos, but if you are squeamish, it still may be too much for you.

In good news, the doeling they rescued is doing well. She's a little fighter. We are calling her Binder, after our friend D'Ann who performed the c-section. We are eternally thankful for her experience and willingness to come over for the very worst thing that has ever happened at BHF. Little Binder is a sweetie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry for your loss. Jakarta had a very sweet face.

Annette said...

I'm so sorry about Jakarta. Binder is adorable and those ears....omg... I wish I could feel those ears. I just love your Nubian goats.

pleintexasgirl said...

Your precious Jakarta will live through her little Binder. Farming can be brutal at times and thank goodness your Christian was able to give Jakarta peace. The only time I saw my 6' husband cry was when he had to put our favorite Nubian down. It will be okay in time.

Unknown said...

Sorry you had to go through all that. I'm sure you did everything you could. Very brave... I'll give a call soon to catch up.